I've got a busy busy february. I'm overwhelmed with school work and more than that, I'm needing to pick a Capstone Advisor so that I can apply for and finish my Capstone and graduate this summer!!!!!!!!
I really want to create an environmental compliance program for a hypothetical gas company. But isn't that a little irrelevant when so many companies already have compliance programs (whether successful or not)?
Another topic is comparing why some companies' compliance programs are successful while others flounder... however that means interviewing companies and trying to determine what is successful...
The last topic I have in mind is on the same line -- what makes ISO 14001 certification successful for some companies while it is not for others.
I should really be doing something meaningful and gives me warm fuzzies, like analyzing the harvesting practices of the Amazon Rainforest. Sort of cliche in my field though.
It's tough to pick and define a topic which is meaningful, yet useful to a consultant and/or industry. You'd think 2.5 years of grad school would have prepared me for this moment. Instead I've been going through the motions for the last 6 months+ and it's biting me in the ass.
I'm ready for summer! When we first moved here we thought it was some sort of tropical pardise! The last two years have been ridiculous! Still beautiful though.

2 comments:
Hmmmmm. It seems to me that the best kind of "compliance" program would be one that motivates people to act intrinsically or altruistically in accordance to what is best for the environment. Could you study what type of actions encourage and foster altruistic behavior from people and design a hypothetically compliance program that uses principles of "just doing the right thing" to encourage compliance? Could you make an argument that the best compliance programs are those that encourage employees of companies to act from principles of environmental integrity instead of consequences of enforced compliance standards?
I’m a behavioral science major….I guess I look at everything from a “why would people act a certain way” viewpoint .
Anyway – good luck! It will be over soon.
I remember how hard that last push was for finishing up grad school. YOU CAN DO IT!!!
My vote is to do the project you really are interested in and want on environmental compliance program for a hypothetical gas company. I'm sure you will be able to make it your own and we always do our best work when we are intersted in the topic!
And daydream about what you will do with all of your "spare" time when you graduate this summer.... I look back and wonder how I ever did it.
Miss you guys :)
Post a Comment